Saturday, May 2, 2009

The start of the Journey

The notion of blogging a retreat may seem like a contradiction. It grew out of the desire to share The Gathering with the whole of the Associates and Oblates of SSJD, many of whom would like to attend the event, but are prevented from doing so for a number of valid reasons. So these daily writings are meant to give you some sense of participation.

A favourite prayer that I have learned from the Sisters is the one of Thomas Merton’s that begins:

My Lord God I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me; I cannot know for certain where it will end.

This is indeed true, - both somewhat exhilarating and at the same time somewhat frightening. But of course that is true of the whole human journey, not just a five day retreat.

What is possible is to describe a bit of the past. The first meeting of the Gathering Committee took place in September of 2007. The planning committee was a group of sisters, associates and oblates including myself – probably the newest associate in the group.

The idea of a theme of “Something More” met immediate approval and we were pleased to hear that Margaret Silf had been already been confirmed as retreat leader a year ago in 2006. We immediately agreed that the Gathering should be both educational and inspirational. Margaret would provide both these aspects, but we needed to see how we could enhance them. We agreed that we should follow the regular SSJD horarium, the regular pattern of worship (morning prayer, eucharist, evening prayer and compline) as well as the balance of a Benedictine life that included prayer, work, study and relaxation. Working out this latter part would form much of our work in the next two years.

I have participated in many conference planning groups but there are few that were as spirited and effective as this one. It combined sisters, associates and oblates. No detail was too small to capture our attention, but it was easy to build consensus because of our common desire to address a multitude of needs. A schedule fell into place very early. Within the framework of the daily liturgies there would be lectures by Margaret, meals – some in silence, some with conversation, and small group discussions. Evenings on two of the days would be free. There would also be an evening of light entertainment. The pattern would allow for both individual reflection and the building of community.

Sister Elizabeth, who chaired the meetings might have wished that SSJD had chosen a different symbol. The Eagle eyes of the committee swooped down on every line of the application form, where we tried to make sure that the promotion was clear and understandable. We went public with the event at Michaelmas 2008 to announce the Gathering as a significant part of the SSJD anniversary year. Later we discussed the worship for the Gathering and were pleased to see a variety of forms of worship, celebrants and music emerge. There were also opportunities for those attending to add their own gifts.

The schedule is complete, the promotion has gone out and generated a response, the participants arrive in Toronto on Monday and Tuesday and we begin our journey. While I have been on short overnight retreats and quiet days at the convent – and have led quiet days for the last two years – a retreat of this focus and magnitude is a new experience for me. So I am looking forward to experiencing it and sharing it.

Merton’s prayer continues . . .

I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself and the fact that I think I am following your will does not always mean that I am actually following it. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment